As the COVID-19 pandemic continues on, the 2020-21 flu season is upon us. The CDC is urging the public to take action to avoid the flu and prevent further spread of COVID-19.
In preparation for a potential “twindemic” this fall and winter, take these steps to protect yourself and your loved ones:
- Get the flu vaccine. The flu vaccine is your best chance of preventing the illness. Talk to your doctor to learn more.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick, and stay away from others when you feel under the weather.
- Practice social distancing, which means staying at least 6 feet away from others, when out in public.
- Wear a protective face covering or cloth mask when out in public.
- Avoid large gatherings, especially those that aren’t socially distanced and don’t require masks or face coverings.
- Wash your hands often using soap and warm water to protect against germs. If soap and water aren’t available, use a hand sanitizer.
- Get plenty of sleep, stay physically active and drink plenty of water to keep your immune system strong.
- Manage your stress and eat a nutritious diet rich in healthy grains, fruits, vegetables and fiber.
Learn more about the CDC’s prevention recommendations for both the flu and COVID-19: Similarities & Differences Between Flu & COVID-19