In 2018, our region experienced an upsurge in reports of mold growth, coinciding with excessive rain and high humidity levels.
As the temperatures soar and the humidity rises, the Insurance Information Institute offers these tips to prevent excessive mold growth.
- Use the air conditioner and/or dehumidifier to keep humidity levels between 30 and 60 percent.
- Use exhaust fans in the kitchen and the bathroom.
- Clean your bathroom with mold killing products.
- If painting – add mold inhibitors to wall and ceiling paint.
- Maintain the roof to prevent water seepage.
- Clean the gutters – often!
- Basements and bathrooms should not be carpeted – pick a linoleum or tile.
Most insurance policies will not cover mold growth, even when caused by a covered peril such as fire or flood. Risk reduction is your best option to avoid damages.