April showers bring May flowers, but they can also bring rainstorms that can cause flood damage to your property! Be sure to take the proper steps to protect your property.
Check out FEMA’s “How to Prepare for a Flood,” which includes flood basics, info on emergency notifications and how to protect yourself before, during and after the flood. Protection tips include:
- Talk to your insurance agent about buying flood insurance
- Create a flood action plan
- Elevate the home systems, such as the furnace, water heater and electric panel
- Install check valves to prevent floodwater from backing up into the drain
- Waterproof the basement and move important items to higher levels
- Install sump pumps with battery backup
- Stock up on emergency building materials – plywood, plastic sheeting, sandbags, necessary tools
- Keep gutters and drains free of debris and ensure roof is in sound condition
If you currently are in need of flood insurance, please contact our office today 410-213-5600.