Beyond the traditional deep cleaning, spring is the perfect time to get your home ready for summer. Liberty Mutual provides a list of the most important chores to prep your house for warm weather (and save you time and money in the long run).
- Service Your Air Conditioner. Spring is the best time (most HVAC companies are booked solid in the middle of summer) to check out your air conditioning system to ensure it’ll keep you cool in the months ahead.
- Clean Windows and Screens. Look for signs of dry rot and water damage from melting snow and ice. Check seals and re-caulk or replace damaged weather stripping.
- Inspect Outdoor Plumbing. Check outdoor spigots and irrigation systems. Remove insulators (freeze caps) from outdoor faucets and run the water to ensure proper flow of water.
- Get Summer Tools Ready. Inspect lawn mowers, edgers and power tools. Complete oil changes, spark plugs and filters. Check cords for frays or cuts.
- Inspect Your Roof and Home’s Exterior. Check shingles, flashing and chimneys. Misaligned, cracked or missing shingles can let water seep in. Flashing should be inspected for rust and cracks.
- Clean Gutters and Downspouts. Winter can be tough on them and damage can lead to leaks that let water into your basement or crawl space, or cause wood rot around the gutters. Be sure to direct flowing water from downspouts away from the foundation of your home.
- Check Your Attic. Check for air vent obstructions and wet spots in the insulation that may indicate a leak.
- Tidy Your Yard. Inspect all playground equipment, outdoor toys and play areas for rust, sharp edges or exposed hardware. Check your grill for secure hose connection and make sure it is properly cleaned.