Many people use a wood furnace, a wood stove, radiators, space heaters, or fireplaces to keep their home warm during the winter months. While these are all good methods of heating a home, there are some risks that come with using these heating devices. About half of all home heating fires are accounted for in the winter months, according to the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA). Keep your family safe this winter with these tips from the USFA:
- Create a safe, empty space of 3 feet around all heat sources
- Do not use an oven to heat your home
- Choose space heaters that have an automatic shut off if it falls over or gets too hot
- Keep up with the maintenance, cleaning, and inspection of all heating equipment, fireplaces, and chimneys annually
- Use a metal or heat-tempered glass screen for your fireplace
For more information, check out this page from the USFA!