Can preventive maintenance foster fewer claims in your community?
Yes. In some cases, the units where claims occur have not done consistent home maintenance. Regular home maintenance could avoid potential claims.
How to prevent these claims? Send the condominium owners, especially in second home communities, a list of helpful hints to maintain the home.
Here is a quick list to get you started.
- Change A/C filters and clean a/c condensate lines. (List a/c filter size or link to website to purchase.)
- Replace hot water heaters that are over 10 years old.
- Turn off water anytime you are leaving for any period over 3 days.
- Replace washing machine hoses to avoid dry rot.
- Clean dryer vents.
- Replace batteries in smoke detectors. (List number of smoke detectors in home to purchase batteries for.)
- Check for looseness in balcony railings.
The more you personalize the list to your community the better results you will have. A little regular maintenance will go a long way in community moral and pride!