Ocean City Deputy Fire Marshal’s Tim Price and Joe Sexauer attended the September meeting of the Delmarva Condominium Managers Association (DCMA).
Mr. Sexauer discussed the false alarm reduction program. Charges can occur if false alarms are not handled in a timely manner.
Click here for the Fire Alarm Activation Report. Anytime a preventable alarm occurs, so anytime there is an alarm but not a fire or smoke, the association should fill out the activation report and return to the Fire Marshal’s office.
Mr. Price gave some great tips on how to avoid another year of frozen sprinkler pipes and false alarms:
- Exterior sprinkler room doors should have the weather stripping checked or replaced.
- Consider replacing the electric base heat with forced air heat. Electric heaters were not able to keep up with the extreme low temperatures of the past two winters.
- Cover the flood vents with insulation.
- Check low points in the system and drain when appropriate, immediately prior to severe weather.
- Add heat sensors in the sprinkler pump room that notify an emergency contact in case of heat malfunctions.
- Contact the Fire Marshal’s office at 410-289-8767 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need specific tips as to how to best protect your property within the code requirements.
A Deputy Fire Marshal will return to the DCMA meeting next month on October 13, 2015. The discussion topic is the new online reporting method being implemented for fire protection inspections.
Are you prepared for winter weather?
Thanks for reading.