It is January again. A New Year. And National Blood Donor Month. To all of those who gave in 2016 – thank you for saving lives here on the Delmarva Peninsula!
The Blood Bank of Delmarva has a few requirements for blood donors:
Donors are required to show a photo ID or two other forms of ID. They must be 17 to 79-years-old (Ages 80 and older, please contact Blood Bank of Delmarva Eligibility Coordinator at 1 888 8-BLOOD-8 for medical approval), weigh at least 110 pounds, and be in general good health:
- No active cold or flu-like symptoms on donation day, including a fever, sore throat, or diarrhea. Those on antibiotics for infection must wait 24 hours after they are finished to give blood.
- Donors who received a tattoo or body piercing must wait 12 months to donate unless applied in a state regulated facility. If applied in a state regulated facility, donors are eligible to donate in 14 days provided the tattoo or piercing site is healed. In the mid-Atlantic area, the states of Delaware and Pennsylvania regulate these establishments; the state of Maryland does not.
- Anyone who has had gonorrhea or syphilis (VD) in the last 12 months will be deferred.
- Those at risk for AIDS will be deferred:
- Anyone infected with the AIDS virus (HIV)
- Anyone who has ever used illegal IV drugs (using needles)
- Any male who has had sex with another male, even one time, since 1977
- Anyone who has had sex in exchange for money or drugs since 1977
- Anyone with hemophilia who has received clotting factor concentrates
- Those who have had recent major surgery or have a history of hepatitis, convulsions, heart disease or lung disease may be deferred.
- Donors who have travelled to certain parts of the world may be deferred due to a potential risk of contracting an infection that may be transmitted through blood transfusion.
- PLATELET DONORS: No aspirin, or products containing aspirin, for at least 72 hours before your appointment. Do not take any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) medications, such as Ibuprofen, for 24 hours before your appointment. Tylenol is acceptable.
For more specific deferral information, call 1 888 8-BLOOD-8.
Blood donors are needed every day.
Ocean City just completed the blood drive and it was a great success, but the Blood Bank of Delmarva still needs more! Can you help? Log on here to make an appointment !
Together we can save lives. Thanks for reading.