Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is colorless and odorless, but extremely poisonous. Over 150 people in the United States die each year because of CO poisoning from common products like generators, furnaces, stoves, and fireplaces.
To keep you and your family safe this year, follow these tips from the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA):
- Install and maintain CO alarms in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of your home to provide early warning of CO.
- Use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas away from all doors, windows, and vents.
- Make sure all vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow and other debris.
For more information on Carbon monoxide, visit the USFA safety page.