Driving safely requires full concentration and vigilance. However, during weather events like heavy fog, visibility is poor and can negatively impact your driving.
To remain safe when driving in fog, do the following:
- Slow down before reaching a patch of fog.
- Turn on your low beams or fog lights.
- Utilize your defroster and windshield wipers to increase visibility.
- Roll down all of your windows to hear other vehicles nearby.
- Maintain a slower speed, keeping a good distance between you and any vehicles in front of you.
- Signal your turns earlier than usual.
- Brake gently and early so vehicles behind you have a chance to react to your driving.
Above all, don’t be afraid to pull over until the fog clears. When doing so, park as far to the right or left of the road as possible and activate your emergency lights. Do not start driving again until visibility improves.