The National Safety Council (NSC) has designated April as Distracted Driving Awareness month. In this spirit, we at Deeley Insurance Group, would like to share a few things about why this issue is so important and what we can do about it.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), more than 3,000 fatalities resulted from distracted driving crashes in 2011. A few tips from the NSC:
- Stop using cell phones while driving
- Understand the dangers of the cognitive distraction to the brain
- Inform people who call you while driving that you’d be happy to continue the conversation once they have reached their destination
- Tell others about the dangers of cell phone distracted driving
- Take the pledge to drive cell free
Distracted driving is not just talking or texting on a cell phone. It can be eating or reading, manipulating controls in car, handheld computers/tablets or other navigation devices, smoking, issues with directions or rubbernecking. To access other Driver Safety Tips, visit the NSC website.