The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has proposed a new rule in regards to rating carriers. The rule will not have to go through the process to become a final rule.
- Carriers will have no rating or an “unfit” rating.
- Carriers with an “unfit” rating will not be allowed to operate.
- FMSCA will set standards for each BASIC to establish a maximum number of violations allowed or a failure standard.
- If two of the five BASICs surpass the failure standard the carrier will be rated “unfit” and must cease to operate.
The FMCSA has put together a great webinar to review the changes from the previous rating system to the new Proposed rating system. Click the photo below to watch.
The FMSCA has also made a calculator that will help you determine how this new rule would effect you.
In order to use the calculator you will need the following:
- Your company's Complete Safety Measure System (SMS) Profile, which is available once you log into the SMS Website
- Your company's investivation reports from the past month.
We will monitor this rule as it proceeds in the process and update you. FMCSA will be asking for comments, what do you think?
Thanks for reading and watching.