This year, make a couple of emergency planning resolutions. Resolve to be prepared.
- Make an emergency plan: choose a safe place to meet, learn evacuation routes, and establish an out-of-town contact.
- Take a current photo of you and your pet together in case you get separated during a disaster.
- Get to know your neighbor and invite them to be a part of your emergency plan.
- Snap photos of important documents and save them in a secure place or online.
- Set up group text lists so you can communicate with friends and family during emergencies.
- Take a class in CPR and first aid.
- Keep and update emergency supplies; remember to include cash.
- Have back-up power sources available to charge devices in case of a power outage.
- Snap pictures of your property for insurance purposes.
- Check your insurance for coverage on disasters like floods, hurricanes, and earthquakes.
- Sign up for alerts and warnings. Download the FEMA app to get real-time alerts, safety tips, and locate open shelters.
- Save for a rainy day! Start and grow your emergency fund.
- Financially prepare for the New Year. Find out how with the Emergency Financial First Aid Kit.
- Spend within your means. Use a personal budgeting worksheet to help plan for holiday expenses and beyond.
- Build up your savings. Put a small amount in your account the first of every month beginning January.
#ResolveToBeReady #PrepTips #NewYear