Before the extreme weather hits, be sure to take the following steps to protect your pipes:
- Repair and seal cracks around windows and doors that can allow cold air to reach indoors.
- Seal around pipe opening to prevent cold airflow.
- Remove, drain and store outdoor hoses and close inside valves that supply outdoor lines.
- Open outside valves during winter months so that remaining water can expand without breaking pipes.
- Know the location of the shut-off valve for your water supply.
- Keep the thermostat above 55 degrees, even when traveling.
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to give indoor plumbing access to warmer air. Allow faucets to drip.
- Monitor water-based fire protection systems.
Source: The Cincinnati Insurance Companies blog.cinfin.com/severe-weather