October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month. Our lives are driven by digital technologies, so there is no better time than now to remind everyone in your family about the importance of staying safe and being responsible while using the internet. StaySafeOnline provides tips on how to help make your home a safe digital haven by protecting networks and devices:
- Keep A Clean Machine (this includes mobile phones & tablets!) – Having the latest security software, web browser and operating system is the best defense against viruses, malware and other online threats.
- Lock Down Your Login – Usernames and passwords are not enough to protect key accounts like email, bank and social media. Always use additional authentication tools when available.
- Share With Care – Think before posting about yourself and others online.
- Back It Up – Protect your valuable work, music, photos and other digital information by making an electronic copy and storing it safely.
- Value & Protect Personal Information – Personal information, purchase history and location has value. Be thoughtful about who gets that information and how it’s collected through apps and websites.
- Secure Your Wi-Fi Router – Set a strong passphrase for your Wi-Fi network that is at least 12 characters long. Name your network in a way that people don’t know it’s your house.
For more information on online safety basics, identity theft, cybercrime and securing accounts, please visit staysafeonline.org. #StopThinkConnect