The Atlantic hurricane season is approaching. Here’s what you can do to get ready now:
Know Your Hurricane Risk
- Check with local officials to understand your risk.
- Search online to find your local emergency management agency to learn more.
- Sign up for local alerts or download the FEMA app.
Know Your Evacuation Zone
- Learn your evacuation zone, route, and an alternate location to stay.
- Include pets when planning to evacuate.
- Practice your plan.
Assemble Disaster Supplies
- Gather needed supplies for at least 10 days.
- Don’t forget your specific needs like meds, powered devices, pets etc.
- Keep cash in your emergency kit.
- Start an emergency savings fund.
- Check your insurance coverage to make sure you have enough coverage.
- Learn more about flood insurance by visiting: www.floodsmart.gov
Strengthen Your Home
- Make sure your home is in good repair and meets local hurricane building codes.
- Declutter drains and gutters, trim trees, secure loose outdoor items & secure doors.
- Know a safe location to move your car during a hurricane.
Help Your Neighbors
- Get to know your neighbors before an emergency strikes.
- Make sure they have a plan before and after a hurricane.
- Exchange contact information
Make an Emergency Plan
- Write down your hurricane plan & share it.
- Make a plan of how you will get in touch with others before, during, and after.
- Take photos of important documents and store them in a secure place.
For more information, visit https://www.ready.gov/hurricanes.