Frozen pipes can cause a large range of issues that threaten your restaurant. From equipment malfunction to a burst pipe, having a frozen pipe can cost you large losses from equipment repair costs, losses in revenue from a shut down of business, and more. it is best to practice prevention techniques to limit the risks of a frozen pipe affecting your bottom line.
- Insulate your backflow preventer, or buy a thermostatic relief kit to keep it safe during winter weather.
- Conduct routine maintenance and checks on your HVAC system.
- Keep a few space heaters around in case of emergency.
- Insulate water softener lines and use heat tape when available.
- Have water trickling from a tap – it's harder for running water to freeze.
- Wrap foam pipe insulation around your condensate pipes to prevent damage to equipment.
- Keep all doors and windows closed to prevent cold drafts indoors.
- Insulate walls to the outdoors so the pipes inside stay warm.
If ice or water damage does occur, use these resources to determine how to take best action.