Dreading the holiday decor cleanup? Check out these tips to help make the post-holiday cleanup easier.
- Take pictures of your decorations before taking anything down. They’ll be a great reference when you’re planning next year’s displays.
- Start taking the non-breakables off of the tree first. Put them in their own box. No need to take off hooks, and you can stack them easily.
- As you take down fragile ornaments, wrap them in tissue before placing them in a divided box. (Holiday tissue paper goes on sale the day after Christmas!)
- Have boxes for specific categories and label the outside:
- non-breakable ornaments
- breakable ornaments
- miscellaneous – snow globes, calendars, candlesticks, shelf hangers
- Keep original boxes to store ornaments, especially the fragile ones.
- Have you realized you need something new or more of an item for next year? Make a note and pack it at the top of the box.
- Ask for help, especially when moving large or heavy boxes to an attic or storage space. Make taking down the decorations a family event, like it was putting them up.
Be smart. Stay safe. Happy cleanup!