Tis the season for generators! Winter storms can cause serious power outages, so it's wise to keep a generator at hand. However, it is important to stick to these safety tips from FEMA when using a generator.
- Always place your generator outdoors – this will keep carbon monoxide fumes away from your family
- Read the owners manual before using a generator
- Add fuel before the generator is turned on – if you have to add more, turn the generator off and wait for it to cool
- Do not get smoke or cigarettes near a generator
- Use heavy-duty, outdoor-use extension cords
- Be sure you have battery powered CO detectors
- Pack foods that do not have to be cooked in your emergency kit
Thanks for reading!!