Frostbite and hypothermia are serious conditions resulting from extreme cold that can progress rapidly if ill-equipped. To prevent these conditions, which could result in death or permanent damage, do the following:
- Select proper clothing for cold, wet and windy conditions
- Layer clothing when possible, and be sure to include layers that repel moisture away from the skin
- Take frequent, short breaks in warm, dry shelters when possible
- Avoid over-exhausting yourself, as the body needs this energy to keep the muscles warm
- Plan to work in pairs when it’s cold to share the load and watch for warning signs of frostbite or hypothermia
- When you know you will be exposed to extreme cold, prepare yourself warm, sweet beverages to drink – avoid drinks containing caffeine or alcohol
- Prepare warm, high-calorie foods to consume if you know you will be outside for long periods of time
So tomorrow, I think I will half a large cup of decaffeinated coffee with cream and sugar and a very tasty cinnamon bun.
Thanks for reading!