- Property owners and renters should buy flood insurance even if you aren’t in a high-risk area.
- Your chances of being flooded are much greater than some other risks you face daily.
- If you live in a 100-year floodplain, there’s more than a 1 in 4 chance that you’ll be flooded during a 30-year mortgage. During a 30-year mortgage, you are 27 times more likely to experience a flood than have a fire.
- Just one-inch of water can cause $20,000 or more in damages to your property.
- Your homeowners or renter’s policy typically doesn’t cover flood damage.
- No home is safe from the devastation of a flood; 25% of flood losses occur to homes outside of a high-risk area (category 1 or above).