I want a hippopotamus for Christmas
Only a hippopotamus will do
Don't want a doll –
No dinky tinker toy –
I want a hippopotamus to play with and enjoy
Things to think about:
Check your Homeowners Policy
- Your garage is typically covered, but you may want to increase your limits to cover all of the renovations required to keep a Hippo happy in its artificial habitat. In addition, be sure to not include a diving board for the pool. Many carriers have issues with a diving board.
- Other structures – Fencing needs to be reinforced so your Hippo doesn’t get through.
- Ask your carrier if they consider a Hippo as a pet or a pest. We have checked with several carriers and they are not listed on the “inherently dangerous pet” exclusion.
- If the Hippo is classified as a pet – any damage he causes to your home will not be covered.
- Hippos can be very aggressive. Be sure to increase your personal Umbrella limit. We’ve not experienced a bodily injury or property damage claim caused by a hippo in our office, however, the damages could be gigantic. And remember, the liability coverage will not defend you when the Hippo charges your spouse. However, as long as you mother-in-law is not a resident of the household, the coverage will respond. And you might want to keep him separate from Buddy, the family doggy. (Our Claims Manager would argue to get the claim paid and I have seen her work her Christmas Magic on insurance carriers before…Grandpa received a hefty compensation package after those pesky reindeer mowed down Grandma last year!)
- If you decide to hire a hippo trainer, be sure to secure a Workers Compensation policy.
- Double check your auto limits for when your Hippo confuses the Land Rover for a Rhinoceros.
- When your cuddly Hippo charges little Timmy, Aflac does have hospitalization and Emergency Care coverages that help get you money ASAP!
- Short & Long Term disability would be good purchases – little Melissa might not bounce back as quickly as we would hope from Hippo’s accidental trampling.I
- If you buy a Hippo – may we offer you some life insurance coverage?
Our Personal Lines Manager strongly recommends not getting a Hippopotamus for Christmas, but if you are feeling all risky this Christmas or Santa Claus gifts you with the unthinkable – Give us a jingle.
We will find the right protection for you … and your hippopotamus.
May your holiday be merry and bright. May all your Hippopotamus dreams come true. May we suggest the stuffed variety?