School is back in session and drivers can expect a number of changes happening on the roads. Scenarios involving frequent stops and children crossing roads can create a higher risk for traffic accidents. Be sure to follow these school zone driving tips:
- Be on the lookout for school zone signals and always obey the speed limits.
- Slow down—be aware of children walking and biking, especially in residential areas and school zones.
- Never pass a bus loading or unloading children! Always stop your vehicle far back enough to allow kids to safely enter and exit the bus, no matter which direction you are traveling—wait until the bus lights go off, the stop sign is back in place and the bus is moving before you start driving again.
- Unless licensed to do so, never use handicap or emergency vehicle lanes or spaces to drop off or pickup children at school.
- Yield to pedestrians in cross walks. Obey the signals of crossing guards.
- Never pass a vehicle in front of you that is stopped for pedestrians.
- Avoid using a cellphone while driving in a school zone.
For more information, read the full PropertyCasualty360 article here.