October is Distracted Driving Awareness Month. Join the movement. Play your part this month (and every month) by following these steps to avoid distractions while you drive. Keep yourself and others safe on the road.
- Put away your phone. Be sure to silence your phone and store it in a location that is out of reach while driving. This will lower your temptation to check it.
- Plan your trip before you leave. Program your GPS prior to hitting the road to get familiar with your journey and feel confident in your route.
- Don’t fumble with your playlist. Select a radio station or plug in a predetermined playlist before driving to limit music adjustments behind the wheel.
- Secure passengers. Ensure any child passengers are properly situated in car seats (if needed) with seat belts securely fastened. Keep pets stationary in the back seat.
- Store possessions appropriately. Make sure to store any items in your vehicle securely to keep them from moving around during your journey. Refrain from reaching for items that shift until you are safely parked.
- Avoid multitasking. The road should be your sole focus while driving. Never complete additional tasks—such as eating or personal grooming—behind the wheel.
- Set expectations. Ask anyone riding in your vehicle to stay still in their seats and keep distracting conversations to a minimum.