Are you excited to ring in the new year with a bang? Then check out these tips for a safe and fun holiday gathering.
- Bring back the buddy system! If you are going to a crowded party or a public event, be sure to travel in groups and don't leave without your friends. This is a simple way to keep an eye out for one another in the midst of the party chaos.
- Plan ahead for driving. If you are planning on drinking during the festivities, be sure to have a plan for driving home. This could be a designated driver who sticks to nonalcoholic beverages, or a car service to safely drive you home.
- Be hospitable! If you are holding a party at your house, invite friends to stay over so they don't risk driving home after drinking. If they would rather drive home, be sure they are sober and alert before they leave.
- Be a defensive driver. If you have to be on the road New Year's Eve, keep distractions to a minimum and be sure to have enough rest. Watch for swerving drivers, and call the police if you see someone driving recklessly – it may help save a life!
- Snack smart! When bringing a dish to a holiday party bring something that will help absorb alcohol, such as nuts, cheese, or crackers. These also serve as healthy alternatives to typical party foods.
- Be responsible! If you choose to drink on New Year's Eve, alternate alcoholic beverages with water. This will give your body time to absorb the alcohol, and it will help you pace your drinking. No matter what you decide to drink, don't leave your beverage unattended!
- Pop carefully! Champagne is a classic New Year's Eve treat. The bottles should be popped facing away from others and away from anything valuable.
We hope you enjoy the rest of the year! Thanks for reading!