Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is colorless and odorless, but extremely poisonous. Over 150 people in the United States die each year because of CO poisoning from common products like generators, furnaces, stoves, and fireplaces.
The Maryland General Assembly recently passed House Bill 0849 and Senate Bill 0182, making it required by law for all rental units to have carbon monoxide alarms. As the laws state, there must be a working carbon monoxide alarm outside of every sleeping area and on every floor level of the unit. If the rental unit is powered only by electric power, the unit is not required to have a carbon monoxide alarm.
It is important that the alarms are operating in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations and NFPA 720. They must be listed and approved by the Office of the State Fire Marshal.
For more information about this law, read this media release from the Office of the State Fire Marshall.
Check out our other blog post for tips from the U.S. Fire Administration.